Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Be Helpful?

What kind of advice is that?   The other day Chris Brogan posted Be Helpful First.  It will take you about 10 seconds to read, and he couldn't be more correct.  Great client service is all about helping.

I've spent years as a United Way volunteer.  I think the organization does amazing work, and I know it well.  The national United Way produced a video several years ago that cleverly poked fun at itself, while at the same time making a powerful point.  The scene was set in an elementary school classroom where a student brought her Dad (A United Way Exec) to class to talk about what he does for living. As Dad launches into his "United Way speak," the kids quickly look confused and bored.  The daughter immediately senses the problem, stands up, and proclaims, "He helps people!" Fortunately, Dad picked up on the cue and began engaging the class.  The confusion and boredom quickly gave way to comprehension and smiles.

For all the issues I cover about client service here at CSI Season 2, in the end, it's all about being helpful first.   Let's never lose sight of that.  Thanks Chris.  

3 comments:

  1. So true, Leo. A long time ago, I received a fantastic piece of advice that has stayed with me ever since: regularly ask clients how else you can help them or what else you can take off their plate. I try to do this weekly but sometimes it's less as workflow allows - certainly, I at least do it monthly. It makes my clients feel taken care of and looked after, and it sometimes results in new projects and income. Either way, it's great client service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, that's wonderful advice. I'm sure you don't ask the question as if you're afraid of the answer either, which is a real bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a kick out of brevity. Sometimes, it's the right thing to do. Be brief.

    I'm glad it resonated. I like Lara's ideas, too. : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin